मृदुमध्याधिमात्रत्वात् ततोऽपि विशेषः॥२२॥
mṛdu-madhyādhi-mātratvāt tato'pi viśeṣaḥ
- For those who apply themselves, there is also a further distinction of weak, medium, and full intensity. -CT
- The time necessary for success further depends on whether the practice is mild, medium, or intense. – SS
- Even among these, there is further differentiation of (of this intensity into degrees of) mild, mediocre, and extreme. – EBF
tataḥ-from this, consequently
api—and thus, also
adhi-mātratvas—strong measures, because of intensity, from full intensity
The last sutra described the means by which one can reach the goal of Yoga.
This sutra suggests that these means can and will be practiced with different levels of intensity.
What would a mild level of practice look like? How about a medium level? I think it is safe to say that the full level of intensity here applies to those who have devoted there lives.
Faith, vigor, awareness of self, discerning intellect and total concentration are the means for fully understanding the Divine.
The Practice needs to be completed all together! Not broken up.
Practice your Prayer Ritual
Do 5X Rounds each side.
- Use your Mantra
- Say your mantra to yourself 5 times out loud.
- Say your mantra in a whisper 5 times.
- Say your mantra silently in your mind 5 times.
- Start ujjayi, create a nice long breath, balancing the inhalation and exhalation.
- Inhale into the belly for a count of 2 and pause for 2.
- Inhale into the chest for 2 and pause for 2
- Inhale into the shoulders for 2 and pause for 2.
- Exhale slowly, smoothly and completely, pausing for 2.
- Reapeat for 5 minutes.
- Draw your attention into yourself. Removing your awareness of the objects of your senses.
- Focus your minds eye on your object of meditation.
- Practice for 10 minutes.
- When you feel your mind wander be so gentle in bringing it back. *Remember we are like infants in this journey. Treat yourself as you would your own child.
If you have not noticed already, Yoga Nidra is a powerful practice for keeping a heathy, helpful quality of mind. When you have time in your day, when you feel stressed or anxious, when you feel tired practice Yoga Nidra.
- What would a mild level of devotion look like?
- What would a medium level of devotion look like?
- What would full intensity of devotion look like?
- How is my meditation practice going?
What does this remind me of? Other stories, scriptures, or teachings.